How does acupuncture work?
Acupuncture mobilises our own healing potential which we normally don’t have access to. And this can be achieved by needling acupuncture points with very thin needles.
What are acupuncture points?
Acupuncture points are described as caves or holes under our skin in which our source energy is gathering. This energy is called Qi. Qi is a collective energy deriving from the food we eat, fluids we drink and air we breathe. But also we inherit Qi from our parents during conception.
Acupuncture points are tangible
With a little skill you can feel these caves by moving your fingers along the surface of your body. Experienced acupuncturists can feel some sort of magnetic force dragging their fingers towards the points.
Modern science proves acupuncture points have distinguishable different surface potential than the rest of the skin.
Acupuncture points lay along the channels (meridians) which create a network. This network is not something physical like nerves or blood vessels. It is more like potential spaces surrounding our physical structures in the body.
The channels network gathers all physiological (digestion, circulation, hormonal, neurological, immunity, etc), emotional and mental processes to maintain body balance. It also connects our inner universe with the outer universe and makes us one.
That is why for example women menstruate according to the moon phases.
When the imbalance appears, the channel system works to heal the body-mind and return it to the state of balance. It also prevents the disease from going deeper into the organs or tries to push it out from the organs to the surface.
The process of disease and healing reflects in the channels and by unique methods of diagnosis such as pulse reading and palpation it can be detected.
When acupuncturist needles selected points enhances the process of healing. With every acupuncture treatment the body-mind gets a push towards the state of health. Nonetheless, it is difficult to say how many treatments are necessary for the body to regain its balance as that would depend on the disease itself and strength of the patient’s body-mind. Here you can learn what to expect from your first visit.
What diseases can be treated with acupuncture?
Acupuncture is a holistic treatment and enhances self-healing potential of the body-mind to return to its balance. So potentially any disease seen as a breach in that balance can be treated with acupuncture. World Health Organisation has distinguished 100 diseases in which acupuncture can be helpful. In my practice I often treat patients with:
– pain conditions of different origin like backaches, migraines or muscle-skeleton pains,
– emotional and stress conditions which can cause a real disturbance in one’s life leading to sleep disturbance (insomnia), physical disorders or even diseases like hypertension,
– menstrual, hormonal and fertility problems which are nowadays growing rapidly,
– digestive disorders like diarrhoea, constipation, bloating, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
– autoimmune diseases. There is little help from Western Medicine to treat them because the reason is still unknown. Luckily many of them can be treated with help of the Chinese Medicine including acupuncture, herbs and moxibustion.